SOA_col_Carers_cmyk

I started to write professionally in 2006, as a result of my experiences coping with infertility and fertility treatment (which can truly be a bit grim!).  My book “Making Babies the Hard Way” was published in 2007, making me eligible to become a member of the Society of Authors – a support and resource organisation for professional writers.

As I recovered from my emotional and physical bruising, I began to write articles for national newspapers.  All non-fiction contributions.  Over time, I began to explore fiction writing and took courses run by Faber and Faber Academy who encouraged me to develop my creative writing and still support me in this “pause” in proceedings.  The pause has been caused by my new role as a Carer for my Mum.  Although she doesn’t require any physical help at the moment, she has moved into a totally new environment, away from familiar terrain and sadly, her age has also meant losing quite a few friends over the past few years.

When she moved to be close to us, I expected her to jog along with a new life, making new friends and exploring new activities whilst I carried on with my own solitary explorations.  This is not been possible as she has become increasingly reliant upon my company, my decision-making and my emotional support.  She has younger friends, who help out when they can, but most of the responsibility falls to me and my husband.

In one of my “down” times, I came across a Facebook page called “Writers as Carers”.  As it is a secret group, I applied to join it, through Anna Ganley at Society of Authors and thankfully, was accepted.  This group has become something of a lifeline for me and my fellow members as it provides a confidential forum supported by people in the same professional field.

I asked Anna how it began:

‘The SoA’s Writers as Carers Group was set up at the request of member, James Green. He feels strongly that you don’t have to stop being a writer if you start being a carer. And we agree. This group quickly gained members who also had caring responsibilities, keen to help each other carry on writing. Members support each other online in a private discussion group to share tips and advice about how they try to write in the gaps.’

James also has a lovely blog, which explains how he started to feel a need for this sort of support: http://www.societyofauthors.org/our-blog/july-blog-1

Damien Boyd-Otley, another member, adds that this group, “was designed as a way of [writers as Carers] keeping in touch, comparing notes and also doing some prose writing for our new comrades in arms and comrades in bedpans, to view and pass comment.

Certainly, it’s become a lifeline for me.  I began posting, now blogging and who knows, I may return to my nascent novel very soon.  The important thing for me however, is that knowing that other writers are finding it mega-tough to keep going with their work, is a comfort.  It gives me permission to stop beating myself up.  Once I allowed the literary whip to stop stinging, the ideas began to flow once more.

Writers as Carers

11 thoughts on “Writers as Carers

• May 14, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Everyone this article dogdaysandthebuddha.co.uk is trending today, it has already 1,200 likes. Wanted to share it with you to make sure you don’t miss out. Again here it is dogdaysandthebuddha.co.uk or Alan . Share something you like too for the rest of us, don’t keep the good stuff you come accross to yourself, If it good and about freelance writing share it. [novel writing courses]

• May 17, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I see you don’t monetize your blog, i’v got idea how to earn some extra
    money using one simple method, just search in google for:
    Ferdeck’s tricks

• May 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

Hi Cathryn

I’m not seeking to monetise my blog at the moment, but I’ll google what you suggest if that changes/

• May 31, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Still, the posts are very brief for newbies. May you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post. Mcfatter

• June 8, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Yes, I will William, which aspects of Caring and/or Writing would you like to hear about?

• June 18, 2016 at 1:19 am

I think that everything said made a ton of sense. But, what about this?
    what if you added a little information? I ain’t suggesting your information isn’t
    solid., however suppose you added a title that grabbed people’s attention? I mean Writers as Carers
    • Dog Days and the Buddha is kinda plain. You ought to look at Yahoo’s home
    page and note how they create news titles to get viewers to
    click. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two
    to grab readers interested about what you’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it might make your posts a little livelier.

• June 21, 2016 at 7:34 am

Hi Jasper, I understand why you think this but my dilemma has always been that I’m interested in many subjects and don’t want to draw attention to just one aspect of my passions. I have been a Buddhist for 20 years now, so that’s a given in the title for me. That’s who I am. I’m a carer. I have dogs and am passionate about them. I donated one of my puppies to a medical alert dog charity, so I want to highlight their work. I’ve had multiple ankle surgeries (ongoing) so I’ve had to adjust my career again. But I’m also eternally optimistic about Life, hence the Dog Days (high days of Summer). I hope that answers your query? I know my SEO will not be easy, but nothing in Life worth having, is easy in my experience.

• June 19, 2016 at 5:28 am

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website
    is fantastic, as well as the content!

• June 20, 2016 at 8:18 am

Thank you for your kind words. I haven’t been blogging for long. I have to blog between bouts of bad health and caring responsibilities. It was designed by curved house.

• June 19, 2016 at 9:09 pm

This design is incredible! You obviously realize how to keep a
    reader entertained. In between your wit along with your videos,
    I was almost transferred to start my own, personal blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.

I really loved everything you was required to say, and over
    that, the method that you presented it. Too cool!